Bicycles are a perfect tool for almost every person. They keep you fit. They can ride around traffic snarls, often with a more direct route. They can carry you, a friend, your kids, your groceries. They can take you down the block or across long distances. And they are great for actually seeing the environment you traverse.
The following is a summary of my leadership experience in the cycling world:
Planning Bicycle Tours
- Over 10 years’ experience planning cycling routes that are scenic and safe.
- Routes run the gamut from urban adventures to rural scenery.
- Develop both paper route sheets and turn-by-turn GPS maps with any landmarks or hazards noted.
- Receive plaudits from local riders and bicycling advocates for creative route design.
Leading Bicycle Tours
- Over 10 years’ experience leading group bicycle rides and tours for Potomac Pedalers, a 2,000+ member cycling club in the Washington DC area.
- 2 years’ experience leading curated group bicycle tours with The Bluemont Connection, a bicycle adventure company based in Washington DC.
- 2 years’ experience leading group bicycle tours for Cultural Tourism DC.
- Provide clear instructions to riders, making sure all are riding safe equipment and all have proper route maps.
- Able to adapt to changing situations while on the road, re-routing riders, assisting with breakdowns or crashes, providing on-the-road support.
- Receive praise from riders on tours I lead for quality of leadership, friendly approach to riders, swift resolution of any issues, and excellence in planning of routes and handling of groups both large and small.
- Red Cross First Aid & CPR trained.
- US CDC concussion trained.
- USOC SafeSport Certified 2018-present
Planning Cycling Events
- Helped plan and run Potomac Pedalers’ Back Roads Century in 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020.
- Worked with state and local governments and law enforcement to ensure a safe, organized event day.
- Worked with vendors and supporting businesses to coordinate pre-event and day-of-event services, such as mechanical support and food distribution for riders.
- Helped coordinate volunteers to run aid stations, registration, and SAG support.
- Scouted routes for 2015-2017 and 2020 editions of the Back Roads Century, finding low traffic, easy-to-moderate difficulty, highly scenic roads that also had conveniently spaced areas for rest stops.